Thursday 28 September 2023

Why a pitchfork?

Have you ever stopped to wonder why the Devil has a pitchfork? No, neither have I until today when for some obscure reason the question popped into my mind. Most people (including myself) wouldn´t recognize a pitchfork or know what it is for but everyone knows it is associated with the Devil. Strange.

What intrigues me is the origin of the pairing. Back in the days before mechanization I imagine pitchforks were a common article in the countryside, but where did the link come from and how long ago? Pitchforks can have between two and five thin tines but the Devil´s one is most often pictured as a trident - some connection with the sea and Greeks gods?

Much food for thought, it will keep me going for several sessions on the treadmill.

Photo by Alfred Kenneally at Unsplash
 


4 comments:

  1. I hadn't realised the devil held a pitchfork and then I googled. Of course he does, that nasty red pitchfork with sharp pointed tips. The better to push you into his infernal fire.
    I certainly know of Poseidon and his trident. Symbolising his power over the sea. Apparently.
    While the devil's trident is a symbol of much darker forces.
    Interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps when I hear the word pitchfork I usually think of a farmer tossing hay.

      Delete
    2. Apparently Hades and Pluto (who carried a staff) come into it somewhere, I shall have to do some reading lol.

      Delete