Tuesday 1 November 2022

Slow but sure

So, I´ve just had an idea for a war story with a difference... I don´t know where it came from and although I´ve always fancied myself as a writer I don´t think I have the patience to write a book, but if anyone wants to grab my idea and run with it, you saw it here first!

The story is about a British agent/downed airman/escaped POW in France who is trying to evade capture while traveling across the country to escape to England. He initially shelters on a remote farm helped by the farmer´s widow. Ever since her husband´s death the farm has been neglected and machinery lies around unused and rusting. Our hero has the idea of using an old tractor as a means of getting to the coast. He can alter his appearance to look like a farmer and slowly make his way along quiet country roads where he would hopefully be mistaken for a local farmer by the Germans. If he wore an eye patch this would justify his not having been called-up.

It would be a slow but sure way of getting to his destination and the story would consist of his encounters, narrow escapes and troubles on the way. He could start out with a supply of fuel from the farm and when that ran out he would have to beg/borrow or steal some. If it were late summer he could hopefully try to live off the land and sleep in the woods. Maybe he would pick up a companion for part of the way, a young street-smart lad/runaway who could help him out.

Anyway, that is my idea. I think it might actually make a good film...does anyone have Tom Hanks number?

 Photo by Timothy Eberly on Unsplash

2 comments:

  1. I like the ideas you have had for your story. You could have a bash at writing it up and see where it goes. (Tom Hardy would be good in the film version and he could pick me up as his companion - sigh)
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Wendy...I don´t think I have the staying power to write a whole book, though.

      Delete