Wednesday 9 November 2022

A young Apollo

I have just googled a quotation I have always liked as I couldn´t remember where it was from. It turns out is was written by the poet Rupert Brooke. I think I originally came across it in my teens and it stuck in my mind for some reason. I remember it as follows:

"A young Apollo, golden haired,

  Stands waiting on the verge of strife

  Magnificently unprepared

  For the great littleness of life."

According to Google my version has two incorrect words, "waiting" instead of "dreaming" and "great" instead of "long". Here is the correct version:

"A young Apollo, golden haired,

  Stands dreaming on the verge of strife,

  Magnificently unprepared

  For the long littleness of life."

I have always found the lines very expressive and poignant, which is probably why I still remember them, and doubly poignant now I realize he was talking about a young soldier in the first World War with its terrible loss of life.

I must confess that I prefer my "great littleness" to his"long littleness" though, (heresy, I know!).

2 comments:

  1. A very moving few lines. Thank goodness he doesn't know what is in store for him. Magnificently unprepared , so true. Better that he doesn't know. Great or long, they both fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So moving, I agree. Just a few lines but says so much.

      Delete