Monday 17 October 2022

Bye-bye Douglas

I bumped into my neighbour from across the landing today. He is a pleasant lad, nice and polite and friendly. He told me he was moving shortly, which I was extremely glad to hear!

No, not because of him, and his name is not Douglas - Douglas is his dog, a large Dalmation. 

My neighbour doesn´t appear to have a 9-5 job, maybe he works from home, but obviously he goes out and sometimes goes away for a few days.  Someone comes and feeds Douglas and takes him for a little walk but apart from that he is on his own. 

This sadly affects the poor dog and from time to time he has a good howling session interspersed with throwing himself at the front door. The first time I heard it I thought there was a break-in going on.

It is quite heart-rending to hear and I feel so sorry for the poor animal but so far have been unable to decide what to do. I don´t know my neighbour well enough for a tactful chat, and he obviously loves Douglas, it is not deliberate cruelty. If I made an official complaint he could end up in a shelter or even being put down so I have been dithering for a while.

At least now it is out of my hands and I only hope they are moving somewhere where Douglas has more company.



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, I haven´t and don´t intend to take any action, but it is my business when I am being disturbed by a dog howling day and night.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I feel for you and the poor dog. We had a shut-in dog opposite us for a while a few years ago. It used to really upset me to hear it crying. No good for my mental state at all as we love dogs so much. It is a relief for you to have the problem solved and maybe their new circumstances will be better for the dog - you will never know, but can hope.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for understanding, Wendy, it is distressing to hear a dog crying and howling.

      Delete