Friday 19 August 2022

Them next door

I bumped into my new neighbour in the lift today when I was returning home from an errand. The flat next door to me has been empty for a good couple of years and I have got used to only having one other neighbour on my landing.

She seems to be a pleasant young lady and introduced herself, commenting that she worked nearby. I welcomed her to the building and got home to a barking Toby who, even half deaf, was disturbed by all the unaccustomed hustle and bustle of her moving in.

I presume she will have a couple of flatmates as it is a three-bedroom flat and would be rather expensive for one person on her own. I was lucky with the previous tenants, three young lads, office workers, who never made a sound and were away at the weekends. The occupants before them were the literal "neighbours from hell" and nearly drove me mad. They consisted of a middle-aged mother and adult son and three large dogs. Mother and son had frequent foul-mouthed shouting matches and the dogs were left on their own for days at a time with someone popping in to feed them once a day. The poor animals used to howl day and night. I knocked on their door to complain once and the son was so aggressive I thought he was going to physically attack me. I complained also to the building manager and they were fined after ignoring a warning letter but the fine made no difference. I didn´t feel I could take things too far as, being a woman living alone, I felt rather vulnerable.

Anyway, that is all water under the bridge now. I shall await developments with my fingers crossed!


4 comments:

  1. I never think of people in apartment blocks having pets. In smart blocks here pets aren't normally allowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pets in apartments were banned here until a few years ago when a law was passed saying it was an infringement of a citizen´s right to own an animal if they so chose.

      Delete
    2. Our law has recently been changed and landlords must not unreasonably withhold permission for pets in rented accommodation but the landlord still has the option to say no on reasonable grounds. It will be interesting to see this challenged.

      Delete
    3. I imagine it will be difficult to define "reasonable" without a lot of argument.

      Delete