Wednesday 3 August 2022

Poor little lad

Toby managed to fall down a whole flight of stone stairs today, nearly giving me a heart attack. The stairs are on the landing outside my flat and I had opened my front door to receive a granddaughter who was coming up in the lift. Toby gets excited and happy when he senses that visitors are coming and he was dancing about by my feet as usual when he suddenly set off across the landing, something he has never done before. Being blind of course he didn´t know the stairs were there and he slipped off the top one. Unfortunately this was on the inside curve where the stairs are so narrow he couldn´t get his footing and he tumbled and somersaulted right to the bottom of the flight. Surprisingly he didn´t utter a sound as he fell and I shot down the stairs to the next landing where he was staggering about, totally confused. Imagine being elderly and blind and suddenly falling through space, I´d have been confused too!

I picked him up and rushed home where my puzzled granddaughter was wondering where I´d vanished to. I was expecting bleeding from his nose or mouth as he´d gone down head first, or even a broken leg or two but amazingly he was unhurt, although shocked and trembling. After a little cuddle I put him down and he started running around as if nothing had happened. I think maybe it is not just cats who have nine lives...although I think he shortened mine today.



2 comments:

  1. My heart was in my mouth reading your post - poor Toby. As you say he wasn't really aware of what was happening to him so was relaxed and not tensed up. So glad he didn't break any bones. Please give him some big cuddles from us two.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete