Saturday 13 August 2022

A lucky find

There is a vegetarian restaurant nearby where we have had lunch a couple of times when my vegan/vegetarian granddaughters have been over from England on a visit. It seems to only open on Saturdays but has a magnificent 'all you can eat'  buffet - a bit pricey but well worth it. 

They also sell take-out frozen meals which are amazingly good value. Each container, which weighs over 900 grams, costs the equivalent of about six pounds, which I thought would give two generous portions but even greedy me found them too large, three portions would be more accurate. So far I have tried heart of palm lasagna, mushroom risotto, bean stew and pasta stuffed with cheese, all equally delicious, and there are loads more to choose from.

This one is aubergine parmigiana. Haven´t tried it yet. Normally a simple lunch out costs about eight pounds here. I know that sounds cheap compared to other countries, but incomes are much lower here too so it is all relative.

I have always made my food from scratch, as it is cheaper and healthier. I cook up batches which I then freeze in portions. Quite honestly, since I discovered these frozen takeaways I am severely tempted to mostly rely on them rather than my own cooking. At roughly two pounds a meal I couldn´t make it any cheaper at home and think of the work it would save me - I am basically lazy anyway! Today is Saturday so I am off out in a bit to stock up. Yum!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I think it's a very good idea to stock up on these meals. They sound such good value, well-made from good ingredients and will save you money.
    How is Toby after his fall?
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well stocked now! Toby is fine thank goodness, no ill-effects from his fall. He is sulking at the moment as I made him wear his coat for the last couple of days as it was so cold.

      Delete
  2. A simple lunch in the UK can easily be acquired for well under £8 if it was GB pounds you meant. Anyway, as you say, the size of those portions makes it easy enough for more than one meal so economical. They sound tasty. I am eating mainly salad based meals at the moment which can be easily stretched and constructed from basic cold, readily available, ingredients. Yoghurt is my chosen breakfast for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often have yoghurt for breakfast too. I did mean GB pounds, I thought the average price for lunch in a restaurant was about twelve pounds, I must have been misinformed.

      Delete
    2. On my birthday outing we spent average £8 per head for two courses in a nice restaurant at lunchtime. In a restaurant £8 to £10 is reasonable outside London. I thought you were quoting £8 as a price for a ready meal at home. Ready meals are much less than this.

      Delete