Friday 17 June 2022

Pico Dedo de Deus

Something I read in a blog last night reminded me of a little adventure many years ago in Rio de Janeiro. My husband and I, and two other young couples decided to go to a town in the mountains near Rio called Teresópolis to trek to a peak called Dedo de Deus - God´s Finger.

It took us a full day to go up a little mountain trail to a small cabin where we were to spend the night. None of us had done anything like this before and we were ill-prepared for such an expedition, I don´t think we even had sleeping bags.

Anyway, when we arrived at the cabin we found it had only one room and one double bed. After a sketchy meal and some wine we decided to try and share the bed, all six of us! By lying cross ways we managed to fit like a row of sausages on a grill. It was bitterly cold and there was no electricity. We were bundled up in all our clothes but I shivered all night, unable to sleep and wanting to spend a penny. I didn´t want to try and get up as I would have disturbed everybody. As it was, when one of us turned over everybody else had to turn too. Longest night of my life!

The next day we headed back down the mountain in remarkably good spirits (the resilience of youth!) and I nearly killed myself tripping and falling off the path. If I had done this two yards sooner or two later I would have fallen quite a way but where I went over there was a small ledge which I landed on. My guardian angel must have been working overtime that day. 

2 comments:

  1. Not a very pleasant adventure, but an adventure nonetheless. The next day, you were all in good spirits, and that's the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when you are young this sort of discomfort is all part of the fun, especially when shared with friends. You can look back on it and laugh at a later date.

      Delete