Monday 16 May 2022

A messy business

Making pottery is a messy business, which is fine if you have a studio to work in, a garage, cellar or whatever. I live in an apartment so unfortunately none of the above apply. My 'studio' consists of an alcove off the sitting room


and a wheel hiding around the corner in the kitchen


 Water and clay, glazes and casting slip all add to the mess, especially if you drop bits on the floor without noticing and then traipse them around! There is also the health hazard of inhaling clay dust etc. This all means that every time I pot (often two or three times a week) I have to have a good clean afterwards, which is a real pain. In a studio a wipe with a damp cloth and quick mop will do the trick but really doesn´t cut the mustard in my sitting room and kitchen. It´s worth it, though, for the pleasure I get, so I really shouldn´t moan.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. You've shown a few of your pieces on your blog. They were lovely and I remember commenting at the time. We've been enjoying a series on tv with Grayson Perry and his Wife. They have a dedicated area as you would expect. I think that you are doing very well getting your equipment set up in a limited space, it all looks very tidy.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be tidy or the mess takes over! Thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete