Sunday 30 January 2022

Feeling sad

Yesterday I lost a friend to Covid. 

We had a little group here in our condominium which used to meet once a week to do handicrafts together. You took along whatever you were working on and spent an afternoon chatting and drinking tea and often someone would bring something to nibble. There were the usual knitting and crochet, embroidery and even some tatting as well as decoupage and other handicrafts, with the more skilled helping those who wanted to try something new. My friend was probably the most skilled of all of us and very generous with her help.

When the pandemic started a couple of years ago naturally our meetings ceased since we are all elderly and therefore at risk. We retreated to our boltholes and only kept in touch from time to time. I heard that my friend, one of the youngest of our group had died of Covid yesterday It was a shock as I hadn´t even known she was ill.

Apparently her daughter and then her husband (who had survived 4 heart attacks!) caught the virus but only mildly. Then she came down with it last week and died two days later. She was fully vaccinated, in her early sixties and in good health. It is very sad.

4 comments:

  1. It is very sad that your friend died. I believe that we never know the true health of acquaintances as people do not generally advertise what is actually going on underneath. My brother who to all intents and purposes shows on the surface that he is extremely fit when in fact he isn't, has been on strong medication for 50 years, now has stents, and surely rattles because of the all the pills he takes daily. None of even his closest friends know any of this. We were brought up to not talk about such things. I think it is probably why I have had to have my Sunday tea with him in the garden through all weathers for the past two years! My SIL informed me the other day that she is in the high risk category although she too looks fit and well and slim and agile. She did not enlighten me as to why she is high risk and I didn't ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traditional British reticence doesn´t really apply here, people will quite happily and openly discuss their health problems. Our little group of elderly ladies were forever comparing symptoms and giving each other advice.

      Delete
  2. My husband is classed as high risk which causes me great worry so we are fully vaccinated. You say that your friend was in good health and fully vaccinated so it was a big shock for you. A shock for me too as I had hoped that having followed all the rules and instructions we might be at lower risk.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a worry, isn´t it? She must have had some unknown underlying health problem. All we can do is take all necessary precautions and hope for the best. Several members of my family and some friends have all caught the virus but they got over it without any problems.

      Delete