Tuesday 18 January 2022

Another coincidence

Another link with my distance past - when I was about ten years old our neighbours, an Australian chap and his American wife, had two children roughly the same age as myself and my brother. We were friends of sorts, mostly because of the proximity and the fact we were all foreigners. They had a small farm in the interior and we used to sometimes go there for the weekend which was great fun. The girl, N, and I never became bosom buddies but we rubbed along and frequented the same parties later as teenagers even after my family had moved away. Her brother, J, was slightly older and ran with a different crowd.

Eventually in our late teens our paths diverged, N went to Canada and I went to England. My brother, who remained in Brazil, oddly enough was to one day live with J´s ex-wife and child for a number of years and help bring up J´s daughter.

Anyway, roll on about forty years. I am back in Brazil and choose an area to live in and an apartment to buy because it is near where I work and I´m tired of a long commute. After living here for a few months who do I find lives in the same building as me? N of course!

There are four buildings in our condominium, she was not only living in my building but also the same wing, just four floors up from me, neighbours again. We caught up with each other´s news and used to chat when our paths crossed in the lift but after a couple of years N moved to another town and I doubt we´ll ever meet again, but what a coincidence.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes coicindences like this can be good and sometimes not so welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Rachel. This was not the same as my reunion with K that I blogged about.

    ReplyDelete