Sunday 2 January 2022

Avocados

My parents emigrated to Brazil after the war when my brother and I were toddlers. They naturally came across exotic tropical fruit here which was virtually unknown in the UK at that time. 

Amongst that fruit was avocados, when they were gifted a crate of them. Not knowing how to eat the fruit they just tried the pulp 'as was', decided that they tasted like soap and threw the rest away! Some time later my mother was taught how to prepare them by pureeing the pulp with lemon juice and sugar, producing a truly delicious dessert - which is how I grew eating them.

It wasn´t until I was an adult that I discovered avocado could be eaten in salad (still tastes like soap), as guacamole or even on toast, which I believe has become a trend (I´ve never tried it). While I like guacamole I must admit  that for me the very best way to eat this versatile fruit is as a creamy, sweet and tangy dessert! Try it sometime. 

                                                                                                         Photo by Gil Ndjouwou - Unsplash

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes we can just about manage it on toast as it is supposed to be so healthy. May give your dessert version a try as I don't suppose it uses too much sugar.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete