Monday 10 January 2022

Coincidences

Some years ago I went on a group walking trip to an island down south. It was a lovely isolated place accessible only by a two-hour boat ride and with no cars or electricity. There we had a local guide who led us on some excellent walks. At some point she told me that there had been an English woman in a previous group who also came from São Paulo, and she wondered if I knew her. São Paulo has over twelve million inhabitants...I also didn´t know anybody called K but I gave the guide my phone number anyway and promptly forgot all about it.

A few weeks later I had a phone call from K who had been contacted by the guide. After some chat we managed to establish that we had known each other as young teenagers, about sixty years ago! Our parents were friends so we had frequented the same social events for a while until life moved on. We have since been on several walking trips together, including a couple back to the island, and she was also on the Machu Picchu trip. Small world.

6 comments:

  1. What a story. The world is a small place now isn't it. It was obviously meant for you to meet this person.
    Lovely story.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Briony. Another coincidence story coming up soon...

      Delete
  2. That was a great story, do you still keep in touch?
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Wendy, we do still keep in touch although we haven´t met up for a couple of years because of Covid. I sent her happy birthday wishes last week.

      Delete