Wednesday 2 February 2022

Getting it just right

Toby has always enjoyed fetching a toy thrown for him. As his eyesight deteriorated he could still chase after it by following the sound. Now his hearing is poor as well which has made things difficult. I think he can still see movement if the object is very large but that is about it.


This is his favourite toy, which he can´t see even if it is under his nose, but he still wants me to throw it for him. I have had to learn a new skill - rolling the toy along the floor so that it just bumps into him, whereupon he 'kills' it and brings it back for another go (he can keep this up for ages!). The trouble is my aim isn´t so good so sometimes it rolls past him and he stands there still waiting for me to throw it. I then have to flap a large pillow at him so he thinks I have thrown something, at which point he starts quartering the floor until he finds his toy. Poor old sausage, at least it keeps him active and entertained.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra, have just left a comment on Hard up Hester's blog about her Beano. It goes without saying that another of our blog favourites is Toby!
    We had lots of smiles about your account of him 'playing' with you - as you say, there is life in the old dog yet.
    We used to have a mongrel who was terrified in the car when we drove under bridges on motorways. When he started to go blind the problem went because he could no longer see them and car trips were happier for him.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, I follow Hard up Hester too (my mother used to live on a narrowboat). I´m glad you enjoy the Toby tales! Your poor mongrel, that is an unusual phobia. I guess the problems of aging do bring some benefits as well. Now that Toby´s hearing is going, fireworks bother him much less.

      Delete
  2. Have tried to add another comment to your Wordle post but it won't send. Will try to add it here!

    4th Feb
    Update - love it!
    Done it every day since last Monday 31st
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good fun, isn´t it! Hope you can sort your 'send' out.

      Delete