Monday 20 December 2021

Farofa

My lunch - chili con carne with a sprinkling of farofa on top.

Farofa is a toasted cassava or corn flour mixture eaten in Brazil. You can buy it readymade or make your own, there are many different recipes. You can season it and add grated carrot, chopped olives, bits of fried bacon, fried mushrooms etc, whatever you fancy. Most families have their own traditional recipe. 

The farofa itself is rather gritty and looks just like sawdust before the other ingredients are added. It is usually eaten as an accompaniment to meat, beans and rice or a traditional bean stew (feijoada). I love it but I remember my father complaining that it was just like eating sawdust!

4 comments:

  1. Your Dad would have got on fine with my Dad, he said all salad was rabbit food, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´m sure they would have got on, haha. My Dad was a meat and two veg man despite living in the tropics!

      Delete
  2. It sounds really healthy
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit calorific perhaps but so spicy and tasty.

      Delete