Wednesday 10 November 2021

Machu Picchu - part six - finally there

 

Looking down on Intipata (the place illustrated on my trail permit). How on earth do we get way down there, where´s the path?


Made it somehow! Note my footwear...I did 90% of the trail in sandals. Boots are recommended but I had a foot problem which made closed footwear too painful at the time. I´ve since had operations on both feet and am fine now. There were comments and tut tutting from other walkers on the trail and one member of a German group actually took a photo of my feet in sandals! He thought I hadn´t noticed.

 

We were getting close now. This final part of the trail had some exceedingly steep steps you had to virtually crawl up. They led to Intipunku - the Doorway of the Sun.

 Once through the 'doorway' you are at a high point overlooking Machu Picchu in the distance.

I couldn´t believe I had made it...I must confess there were tears in my eyes. We still had some walking to do to get there but it was a gentle downhill stroll compared to what had gone before. Partway along you reach the point where the classic photo is always taken.

This is actually a jigsaw I have hanging in pride of place in my study, it is a far better picture than the one I took! When we reached Machu Picchu late afternoon, we went straight down by bus to Aguas Calientes to finally have a very welcome shower, relax, eat and spend the night and meet up with the rest of our group. Next morning we went up the mountain again by bus and had a proper tour with a guide. It was a truly awe-inspiring experience, everything you imagine and then some, and well worth all the blood, sweat and tears to get there!

This, believe it or not, is the road the bus goes up and down! It is about a 30 minute ride. Aguas Calientes, at the base of the mountain, is a village on the Urubamba river where there are hot springs. We had hoped to relax in them but a serious flood the previous day had destroyed the pools as well as some village houses.

When it was time to leave we returned to Cuzco by train, had a final night there, flew to La Paz and then on home. What a trip!  I am so glad I did it and proud that I actually made it. I certainly have some wonderful memories.

 





4 comments:

  1. Well what a marvellous trip. We've enjoyed your story and pictures and your last paragraph says it all. I couldn't get over those steep rocky steps and that winding road - amazing.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, I enjoyed writing about it and the memories this evoked. The tale ended up twice as long as I meant it to be!

      Delete
  2. I love the photo of the road down the mountain. Thank you for sharing the trip. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. That road made for a hair-raising bus ride!

      Delete