Monday 8 November 2021

Machu Picchu - part five- the Inca Trail


My trail permit. The picture is of a site called Intipata, with ruins and terraces for growing food. When we passed through it I felt quite dizzy because it was so steep. The Incas apparently were experts on creating micro-climates.

The first day of the trail was a long slow climb from Llaqtapata up towards a pass. Thankfully we stopped and camped about halfway up. It was really hard work because of the altitude.

Looking back down the trail. Although we didn´t know it, this part was easy compared to what came later. As the trail became steeper it turned into rough rocky steps. These were all uneven heights and it was impossible to establish a rhythm as you went up.


On the second day we reached the pass, the highest point on the trail. It is aptly called Dead Woman´s Pass, or Abra de WarmiwaƱusca, at about 13,900 ft.

I was so focused on getting to the pass that I hadn´t thought about what happened next, assuming we would camp nearby. Unfortunately I was mistaken and it was a difficult slog down steep steps to our camp over an hour away. My legs were like jelly when I finally arrived.

One of our camps. We each shared a tent with another person. That night the temperature went down to -5C.

Dawn at the same camp and still bitterly cold.

The smelliest toilet on the trail, with no running water I guess it is understandable. Imagine being caught short in the night and having to find your way down to it with a torch.

To be continued (again!), last one though...

No comments:

Post a Comment