Sunday 4 April 2021

India - part six

I know this was in Delhi but I can´t remember what it was, I saw so many places, but I do remember it was very beautiful.


On one of my outings to Connaught Place I got chatting to two Italian ladies, tourists like myself. They were also staying in Paharganj and we met up for dinner that night, which made a nice change. I usually had dinner in my room as I didn´t fancy going out alone at night. My hotel didn´t have a restaurant but I was brought breakfast every morning and there was an extensive menu for choosing dinner. I have no idea where the food came from or what I was really eating but sometimes it is better not to know, and it was very appetizing, plus I love Indian food. My theory was if it was cooked the heat would kill any germs and I am happy to say I never had the least sign of "Delhi belly"! I never ate any salads, fruit that couldn´t be peeled or drank anything that didn´t come in a sealed bottle, needless to say.

I had been instructed to put my tray outside my door after I had finished my meal. The first time I did this I was surprised to find a chap sleeping on the floor on my threshold. There were only about three rooms on each landing so the space was quite small. I didn´t know if he was a member of staff like a night porter, a security guard or whatever. When I put the tray down on the floor he woke up and appeared interested in what remained of my meal, so from then on I always made sure I left him some food.

Before going to India I had been active on a Lonely Planet travelers' forum on the internet, trying to gather as much information as possible, and had actually made contact with a lady who lived in Delhi.I managed to get in touch with her while I was there and we met up once when she gave me some useful tips and advice. I think we were a bit wary initially as you never know for sure who you are talking to on the internet. How much easier my trip would have been now with a smartphone and instant contact. We remain in touch to this day!

Next and last post about India to follow, the more I write the more I remember and want to write about but this is getting too long winded...

2 comments:

  1. Travelling alone opens up many more experiences in a foreign country than travelling with someone I always think. Your experiences in India remind so much of my travels alone although I have never been to India. I am enjoying reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel, I´m enjoying writing them. I agree about traveling alone and I love doing so in Spain or Greece for example, but India was so different that I found it rather challenging.

    ReplyDelete