Wednesday 31 March 2021

Lost in translation

I feel the alarums and excursions of my India posts need a little light relief so here is something completely different!


I had this cast iron wall plaque made for my little back-to-back house when I lived in Marsden, Yorkshire, near the Pennines. I believe it was from the Harrogate Agricultural Show although I may be mistaken.

Instead of the usual twee Cob Cottage I opted for Kob which I thought up in a pub (after a pint or two), and stands for Knackered Old Bugger (referring to myself of course!). It now hangs near my front door here in my apartment in Brazil and there is no way I can explain what it means to anyone!

3 comments:

  1. Are you English born and bred or Brazilian born and bred, or neither? Your chosen blog name gives nothing away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rachel! I´m English born and bred, a Yorkshire lass from Scarborough. I grew up in Brazil, though, my parents emigrated here in the ´50s. I returned to England to study nursing, later moved back to Brazil, then back England and back to Brazil again. I´ve spent about the same number of years in each country and feel I don´t entirely belong in either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I think under the circumstances with British parents I would always feel "British living abroad".

      Delete