Monday 15 March 2021

By request

Here is my wholemeal bread recipe, as requested by Rambler.

400g strong wholemeal flour

50g strong white flour

1 sachet (10g) dry biological yeast

1 tsp salt

3 tsp brown sugar

350ml warm water

Stir all the dry ingredients together in a bowl then slowly add the warm water, mixing by hand, until a ball is formed. Turn the ball out and knead for 5 to 10 minutes, put it back in the bowl and cover (I find a shower cap ideal for this), leave to rise until double in size. How long this takes will depend on the ambient temperature, but usually about an hour. 

Turn out again, knead a few times and shape to fit in a greased and floured loaf tin. Cover and leave to rise until double again. Preheat the oven to 220C. Uncover and bake the bread for 20 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 200C and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until the crust is brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Turn out onto a cooling rack.

As I said, a quick and easy recipe that I have used for years. Please feel free to ask me if you have any doubts.

 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the recipe. I shall add 'brown sugar' to my next delivery (Thursday) and look forward to a tasty loaf.
    I shall put a bowl of boiling water in the bottom of the oven, too - a tip I learned which gives a crustier . . erm . . crust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turns out well. I don´t like my loaf too crusty as I find when I cut it the crust tends to pull away from the slice. Do let me know how you get on.

      Delete