Sunday 28 May 2023

Teeth breaking

Unlike Pam Ayres who wishes she´d looked after her teeth, I have looked after mine with brushing and flossing and regular check-ups despite an irrational but very real fear of dentists. Whenever I have an appointment I start getting the heebie-jeebies days beforehand.

Apart from a couple of crowns and caps I still have all my teeth which I believe is not bad for someone of 76. So it is most unfair that I´m suddenly having loads of trouble. In February I broke a bit off a tooth and had to go to the dentist. In April the same thing happened to another tooth. A couple of weeks ago, bingo, another one - and before I had even got around to booking an appointment to get that seen to, yet another one. I have not started chewing rocks so I assume it is part of getting old, but it is still not fair...apart from the stress levels my bank balance is taking a bashing. Coincidentally one of Toby´s teeth dropped out the other day, I found it by his cushion. Old age sucks!

4 comments:

  1. I have spent at least £5000 on my teeth in the last six years, probably more. I had bad dentistry until the age of about 25. Then I cared for my teeth along the lines of more modern NHS dentistry as everybody else. When I reached my late 50s things started to go wrong. The NHS offered little or no help and I actually gave up in despair. Eventually six years ago with tooth ache I went to a private dentist in desperation. He has now corrected all the problems, hence the money I have spent. I don't begrudge a penny of it to have good teeth again. I think most of it was down to old age and some down to bad dentistry when I was young. Quite honestly I don't think the NHS dentist ever had the willingness or inclination to help me under his present NHS pay structure which they say is detrimental to their practice and career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in England I used the NHS dental service and was not impressed. Here I go privately like most of the population. Brazilian dentists are usually very good and mine is excellent although I still dread going. My current problems are not her fault, I think they are down to old age like you said, Rachel.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, cleaning sessions might weaken the stongest of teeth. teeth.

    ReplyDelete