Saturday 13 May 2023

Matchmaking

I´m not really a fan of reality shows but I must admit there have been a couple of series on matchmaking on Netflix that I have found quite watchable. One is set in the Indian community and the other in the Jewish community.

What I find interesting are the insights the programmes give into different cultures and attitudes. We may think we are pretty well informed regarding other cultures but these shows have given me a new perspective.

 I know people are monitoring their behaviour and conversation when on camera, so there is a certain artificiality about it all, but even so they are worth watching. One thing that amuses me, though, is the excessive amount of make-up worn by the prospective brides, especially in America. False eyelashes, some really long, appear to be 'de rigueur' for any and all appearances. It amuses me to think what a chap makes of the clean natural face he will wake up to in the morning!

Photo by Lashes Vendor on Unsplash
 

No comments:

Post a Comment