Thursday 25 May 2023

Cyclamen

My cyclamen continues to amaze me. I have had it for nearly a year now and it has never stopped flowering. I bought it very cheaply at the supermarket when they were discounting old stock. It had loads of leaves, four flowers and a couple of buds so I reckoned it would last for a few weeks, as they usually do. 

As the flowers died off more buds kept appearing so it always had three or flowers at a time. After a few months about half of the leaves started yellowing, so I imagined the flowering was over and it was going dormant. I cut of the yellow leaves and expected the rest to follow. Instead it kept flowering! The number of buds slowly increased until now there are about sixteen flowers at any one time!

I am delighted, of course, but somewhat mystified. I have never fed it or done anything other than keep it out of direct sunlight and sit the pot in a bowl of water for twenty minutes every four days. Maybe the current mass of flowers is it´s last hurrah...

2 comments:

  1. The cyclamen is beautiful. I hope it keeps on and on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope I haven´t jinxed it by writing about it!

      Delete