Friday 28 April 2023

Toby´s woes

Still on the subject of Toby...I left him with a friend for three weeks when I was traveling last December. She is a lovely person with a heart of gold who also had a Yorkie which died of old age a couple of years ago and incidentally was Toby´s best friend, so she knew how to look after dogs and he knew her. Since he is old and blind now he gets stressed with strangers so I can´t leave him in kennels. Naturally I paid her for her trouble.

Unfortunately things did not go as well as I´d hoped. She said after a couple of days he started scratching incessantly, having caught fleas from the park I´d asked her not to take him to (he hadn´t had fleas for 14 years) and was covered in bites. When I got back from my travels and fetched him he also had a pea-sized weeping hole on his back where he´d had a wart. She said it had looked like a tick. I don´t know if she tried to remove it...all I know is it took me nearly two weeks to heal it. She also managed to get through double the amount of heart medication he takes despite the fact that I had left detailed written instructions on doses and times. Luckily the overdose for three weeks doesn´t seem to have affected him.

All in all although I´m sure she made a great fuss of him and was very affection and well-intentioned, I don´t think I´ll be able to leave him with her again. It´s a pity as I´m running out of options but can´t travel unless I´m sure he is safe and happy with someone trustworthy.

2 comments:

  1. Toby is so adorable, it is hard to find the right person to care for him when you travel. No one cares for our pups like us, their "moms".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra, I think he´s adorable too! I´ve had him since he was 3 months old and he is 16 years old now.

      Delete