Monday 17 April 2023

Stirring it

 

This is my well-seasoned and favourite wooden spoon which I have had for many years and use almost daily. Naturally after each use it is washed up with water and detergent.

I hear there is a new fad nowadays whereby apparently you are supposed to boil your wooden spoons in order to make sure they are super clean and bacteria-free...

I find this idea ridiculous. If your spoon is being used to stir a simmering stew, casserole or whatever, which is what I use mine for, the heat is going to kill any germs anyway. Wooden spoons are designed to be used with hot liquids as their handles will not heat up the way a metal one would. If you do use a wooden spoon for mixing cakes etc. that still shouldn´t be a problem if you follow basic hygiene principles. 

Germs cannot be totally eliminated from our kitchens or homes and commonsense should prevail...rant over!


4 comments:

  1. I agree completely. That spoon is sanitized everytime you put it into that boiling pot. I don't like wooden spoons, I have a favourite silicon one. But husband loves wooden spoons and stirrers and we have half a dozen. Actually I put them in the dishwasher usually because I can't be bothered washing them.
    But like my silicon one I know they're fine. Honestly these new fangled ideas! Like drinking 8 glasses of water a day. My parents lived into their nineties drinking 3 cups of tea, or maybe 4, a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree, these new-fangled ideas get right up my nose!

      Delete
  2. As far as I know, wooden spoons have antibacterial properties that help eliminate germs and bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these fads come from people with too much time on their hands.

      Delete