Sunday 9 April 2023

More medical shenanigans

I have been going to the same ophthalmologist for years at an eye clinic. Over time she has said that I have cataracts developing which would need operating on one day. Towards the end of last year she said the time had come and I decided I would have the operation after my trip to England.

I have been hesitating about the op because I am completely blind in one eye (totally different problem) and naturally concerned, when you only have sight in one eye it is extra precious. I know that the surgery is very simple and safe nowadays but even so there is always a certain risk no matter how slight.

Anyway, I went to see the colleague she recommended at the same clinic. He was a short plump man, middle-aged and overbearing. I disliked him immediately. He said that my need for the op was urgent, tried to convince me I needed the more expensive option (which my medical insurance didn´t cover) and even called in another colleague to confirm what he said. I dislike being hassled and rushed and the more he tried to bully me the more I hesitated. 

The final straw was when he said he would operate first on my blind eye! To remove a cataract from a sightless eye makes no sense whatsoever, and I told him so. He immediately backtracked and said he would only do the other eye...I said I´d have to speak to my daughter and left!

I have since consulted another ophthalmologist who said that although I do have a cataract there is no urgency about dealing with it, it just needs monitoring for the time being...

Needless to say I shall never put a foot in that clinic again!

4 comments:

  1. You've got the right attitude. It's your body, your eyes. Nobody has the right to hassle you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh aren't those supercilious doctors so damn obnoxious. Thank goodness you found another doctor and got a proper check!!

    ReplyDelete