Thursday 7 July 2022

No flies on this old bird!

So...I had a phone call from my "bank" a couple of hours ago. They wanted to let me know they had blocked a large sum from being transferred from my account to another bank today and that there were also several other suspect transactions. I explained that I had not used my bank account for several days and the transactions were not mine. They wanted me to access my account on the phone app to check this information so that I could be reimbursed for the sums taken. This request made me smell a rat and I said I didn´t know how to use the app properly and would go to the bank instead as it just a few yards away. The caller was quite insistent and offered to take me through the process step by step but I still refused.

At the bank, as I´d suspected, it turned out to be a scam. Thank goodness I didn´t fall for it as they were very convincing, but what with someone attempting to use my UK bank card last week and someone else using my ID for a fraudulent phone contract I suspect everything until proved otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. These bank scams are becoming more and more frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They have my name, social security number and phone number, and heaven knows what else.

      Delete
  2. Good for you and great that your bank is so close so that you could check it all out for peace of mind. I have thwarted a scam recently.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete