Monday 9 February 2009

Visitors

When I first decided to write this blog, I didn´t expect more than a couple of people, if any, to visit it. I must confess I´m enjoying finding new visitors every time I log on, so I would like to say "welcome, and thank you for taking the time to have a look at my jottings".

Last weekend I did my two-hour walk on Saturday instead of Sunday because there was a family BBQ on Sunday to celebrate the birthdays of two of my granddaughters; Barbara, lovely at fourteen, and Stephanie, sweet at three. A good time was had by all despite a heavy downpour part way through. Some of us were wet from swimming anyway, so it didn´t matter.

So, Saturday, I still struggled a bit with the pack, getting sharp pains in my right shoulder after about an hour and a half. I fiddled with the straps, tried walking swinging that arm, and also hooking my thumb through a strap for support. Eventually it eased off. Could there be such a thing as getting a second wind for carrying a rucksack? It was a hot day again, 31C, and again I returned home with a purple countenance, as well as perspiring madly. I suppose I should say "glowing". According to the old Victorian saying, "Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies merely glow," but that wouldn´t be an accurate description of my condition, believe me.

While I was walking along I saw a small truck coming towards me with what looked like an upright wooden sentry box strapped on the back. It had a rounded top and as it drew nearer I could see some olive curtains swaying and dipping as it lurched over the uneven asphalt. I realized that what I was looking at was a confessional. Now, the question I ask myself is why was it being transported? Surely churches have built-in confessionals in sufficient number for the size of their congregations. Had there been a sudden increase in demand, an influx of sinners resulting in the need to rush an extra confessional over? Had someone trashed a confessional in an excess of emotion? Maybe it had been eaten by termites (they are a real problem here). I´ll never know the answer of course, but it is amusing to speculate.

I know the above doesn´t have much to do with the Camino, I do tend to wander off the subject from time to time, but that is how my mind works. My next post will be strictly about equipment and weight, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment