Thursday 19 February 2009

Guides, maps and books

I have been trying to decide for some time about the best guidebook and/or map to take with me. I don´t plan to take any other books to read because of the weight. I´ll really miss them as I am a voracious reader. As soon as I have finished one book I immediately start another, and I always read in bed at night before going to sleep - I´m hoping I´ll be so tired I wont miss my nightly 'fix'!

Anyway, I finally decided I didn´t want a conventional guide book, partly again because of the weight, but also because I think too much information can distract you, like when you are so busy trying to capture it all on camera that you are not really looking at the scenery. Apparently the route is so well marked with yellow arrows that you don´t actually need a map. Despite this I opted for a book of maps and also a practical pilgrim guide for the Camino Frances which gives brief details of the route and full details of distances, accommodation, what shops there are, etc.

The pilgrim guide is from the Confraternity of St James, in London, and is updated annually. It looks as if it will prove to be extremely useful for the day-to-day information as you go along, especially for choosing where to stay, and it also has a central section full of good tips and advice which can be removed after reading.

The book of maps I also bought through the Confraternity (excellent service, by the way, I received them within a week of ordering over the internet). The book is by John Brierley and has maps of the daily stages, profile maps and route information. I may not need it to find the way, but I like to know what awaits me before setting off walking in the morning . There is nothing more disheartening than thinking you have three hills to climb, staggering up the third and finding there are two more ahead before you can call it a day. If it is going to be a tough stretch I´d rather know and get psyched up for it before setting off, as well as being able to pace myself properly.

Both books are light, together they weigh 266g which I think is fine considering how useful I´m sure they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment