Friday 13 February 2009

Equipment



This is my rucksack, also known as The Beast. It weighs 1.6kg, too heavy, I know... it has a removable rain cover weighing 100g which I shall do without as I am taking a coverall poncho. Its capacity is 40 + 0.5L which should be ample. I know some people think if you have extra space you will fill it, but I don´t think that will be a problem for me as I intend to stick very strictly to my packing list.
ve tried putting everything in it out of curiosity, and there doesn´t seem to be that much room to spare, anyway.

The "towel" I am taking is actually 3 baby nappies, the cotton gauze type. I was given this tip by a travel guide. They are very light, absorbent and dry quickly. I´ve actually tested them after a shower, and they really work. I managed to dry myself with two, including my hair, and a couple of hours later they were bone dry. They can also be used as a scarf if you´re chilly, or to protect the back of your neck from the sun, or as padding if something is rubbing, or wrapped round a pillow if it looks grubby. A friend of mine stitched two together, but I think they are more versatile separate.


This is my complete list:

Rucksack 1500g
Bumbag 141g
Sleeping bag 650g
1 pr trousers 245g
1 pr bermuda trousers 356g
2 short sleeve T-shirts 210g
1 long sleeve T-shirt 149g
Fleece 259g
3 sets underwear 252g
2 prs liner socks 46g
3 prs outer socks 230g
Trainers 740g
Sandals 445g
Shower/windproof jacket 235g
Altus poncho 500g
Gloves 32g
Sun hat 76g
Warm hat 57g
Medication and 1st aid 142g
Toiletries 300g
Towel 142g
Torch + batteries 65g
Camera + batteries 309g
Camera bits 50g
Ear plugs -
Notebook and pen 108g
Glasses and spares 56g
Sunglasses 88g
Penknife w/ corkscrew 49g
Guidebook 135g
Map book 150g
Water and snacks 1200g
Purse, passport and docs 60g
Whistle -
Plastic cup 34g

The above comes to 9.011kg. My bumbag and contents will be around 750g, and I´ll be wearing around 2kg (including footwear) at any one time, so my rucksack should weigh 6.260kg altogether, 740g under the 7kg maximum I have allowed myself. In fact I keep wondering if I´ve left out anything essential as it all weighs less than I expected!

3 comments:

  1. great to read your complete list..we are almost at that stage, just have not weighed each item. today we completed our 2nd training walk-4hrs on the Gold Coast in the warm summer weather!!! will go back and read the rest of your blog :)
    michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your remarks. I found other people´s lists very useful when I was planning what to take. That´s why I decided to post mine in such detail. Your training walks are longer than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am at the wieghing stages now...and editing my list down, down, down. I remind myself that if I REALLY need something, most likely I can find something combrable in Spain. Scary yes...but doable. (nd in my mind, a big part of what it means to be a pilgrim - moving forward with faith...)

    Isn't preparing fun!?!

    Life is good...

    "Ginn"
    In Sunny Santa Fe

    ReplyDelete