Monday 5 September 2022

Dowsing

Years ago, probably after watching some country programme on TV, I became curious about the art of dowsing to find water underground. Did it really work or was it just an old wive´s tale? I still lived in England at the time, and had a garden, so I decided to try my hand at it.

I made two dowsing rods out of wire coat-hangers by cutting them and bending them into 'L' shapes. The shorter legs I inserted into two narrow tubes so that I could hold the tube while the rod was free to swing round on its own. 

I walked slowly across the lawn with a rod in either hand, holding them pointing forward and as steady as possible. After a few yards the rods swung towards each other and actually crossed. I tried approaching the same spot from various directions and the same thing happened each time I reached it. To say I was amazed is putting it mildly. I fetched my husband and he had a go too. For him only one rod swung, the other continued to point forward.

I wasn´t about to dig the lawn up to find the water source, drain or whatever (buried treasure?) was causing the rods to move like this so it remained a mystery but we had great fun with guests over the years doing the dowsing test. For most it didn´t work at all but some were successful and quite tickled about it. 

I think I managed to convince myself that dowsing is genuine, although how it works and why for some and not others remains beyond my understanding.

2 comments:

  1. I went to a water driven mill and there was a man with water dowsing tools. I tried it and it worked. I was amazed as I did nothing but the rods moved together. There was an underground water source. Someone the other day said on a blog it is all a myth and not to be taken seriously so I kept quiet as I felt I was about to be mocked. However, the water board men use dowsing rods here in their work and take take it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it worked for you too Rachel! It is definitely not a myth whatever they say.

      Delete