Saturday 22 May 2021

Short straw

Well, it looks like I have drawn the short straw vaccine-wise. According to the news neither the EU nor the UK will accept my Coronavac vaccine for entry into Europe or England. The Camino de Santiago in Spain which I had to cancel a year ago and hoped to do next spring and my plans to spend this Christmas in England with family have all gone up in smoke.

Why on earth the government here gave most of us a vaccine which has yet to be approved by the WHO instead of using the proper ones I have no idea, although it wouldn´t surprise me if price hadn´t something to do with it.

So, what now? I don´t know if at some point it would be possible to get re-vaccinated, maybe when vaccines become available privately here and you can actually choose which one to have. The other option is quarantine in the UK which costs nearly 2000 pounds, way too much for me. 

I´m feeling pretty cross to put it mildly.

6 comments:

  1. I think travel plans are best put to one side for this year regardless of what vaccine anyone has anywhere. Quarantine and travel rules change here on a daily basis. Even my friend travelling here from the Netherlands is not sure now whether she can come due to these ever changing rules. She has a ticket for July. I had the vaccine so I could travel but so far it has not materialised as the enabler for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earliest I was planning to travel to England was for Christmas, seven months away. I was hoping by then the situation would be clearer. It is my vaccination which concerns me most.

      Delete
    2. I see your point about the vaccine Sansthing but I am not wholly convinced that the vaccination I have gone through is going to achieve what I thought, i.e. freedom for me to travel again. In the foreseeable future the fact that I have been vaccinated is not giving that to me. I had a trip scheduled for 2020 cancelled three times and I eventually took a full refund and now don't plan any travels for the foreseeable future.

      Delete
    3. I´m still waiting for my refund from April last year!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear your travel plans have been dashed to bits, but I think Rachel summed it up well. We have postponed/rescheduled a trip to the UK three times during past 15 months as Covid played out. Finally cancelled the trip altogether the other day until further notice. Thankfully, the airline gave us a full refund on our tickets. What a strange journey it has been. We'll get there eventually, just not for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you´ve had to keep postponing your trip, I haven´t had a refund for my ticket to Spain yet. As I said to Rachel, it is my vaccination which worries me. If it continues to not be accepted I don´t know if I can have an alternative one.

      Delete