Monday 20 April 2009

Three weeks and counting

Three weeks today and I´ll be on my way to the airport. I can´t believe time has passed so quickly and although I am very excited about it all I keep getting butterflies as well. I don´t feel I´m ready yet, not physically. Last Friday I did 4km, Saturday 16km and yesterday 20km. Last night I was totally knackered. I know it was hot, about 30C, but even so I shouldn´t have felt that tired. Today I was a bit stiff when I got up, but after a gentle stroll to the shops I am fine. Maybe I could do 16km today if I had to (I don´t intend to!). One answer may be to alternate longer and shorter days on the Camino while I build up stamina.

In another sense I am totally unprepared for what is to come. Many pilgrims appear to thoroughly research every step of the way, from hostels to historic sites, and plan each day in detail. My life at home is necessarily highly organised, and maybe that is why I have no plans whatsoever. Apart from arriving in Roncesvalles to start my Camino that is it, nothing booked, nothing arranged. I intend to set off every morning and keep going until I fancy stopping, whether because I´ve had enough or because I find myself in a nice village or whatever. The freedom of not having to be somewhere or not cover a certain distance will be wonderful, a real escape from everyday life.

Of course, I could well come unstuck over this. My first night in Spain will be in Pamplona, on the way to Roncesvalles. I shall be arriving in the evening with nowhere booked for the night. I may meet up with other pilgrims on the coach willing to share overnight accommodation in Pamplona or share a taxi on to Roncesvalles, or I may make my own way to a pilgrim hostel or b+b. You have to be open to whatever fate has in store for you and let the Camino work its magic. I´m not daft enough to end up sleeping in a doorway, obviously, but there is no guarantee I´m going to have a pleasant or comfortable night either!

I shall try and keep posting about my adventures and misadventures during my Camino, whenever I can get Internet access. I may only be able to make short occasional entries but I intend to keep a diary and fill in the gaps when I get home again. It should be fun in the future to re-read and re-live my Camino one day.

2 comments:

  1. for what its worth I think you are ready,you have put the miles in,your recovery period is good-it won't be as hot on the camino and most people start slow and find the build up of miles comes naturally.
    good luck.
    Ian and Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words, Ian and Rosie, if I don´t make it it won´t be for lack of trying. I imagine at this stage of the game it is quite normal to start doubting yourself. I intend to start v e r y slowly, anyway!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete